Thursday 13 December 2012

Hello Winter

The trees outside my office window all looked like this yesterday:


Very frosty!

The temperature was "only" about as low as -4, so the frost was a lot less spiky than the impressive hoar frost we had a couple of years ago.

We had temperatures as low as -10 that winter (which is very unusual round here!) and my old flat was seriously chilly with swirls of ice on the inside of the windows on several occasions. I spent a lot of days working in a woolly hat and fingerless gloves and wearing my dressing gown over my clothes as a not especially stylish indoor coat. I do miss my old flat sometimes, but when the winter rolls round I definitely don't miss the draughty single glazing and lack of insulation!

It might not have been as impressive as a couple of years ago, but I was still tempted to go out into the cold to take some snaps as the frost had covered everything in the garden with tiny little spikes. It was as if all the plants had suddenly become members of the cactus family overnight.



The trees looked especially amazing. This is what the branches of the silver birch tree (in the photo at the top of this post) looked like close up:


Cool, huh?

7 comments:

Katie said...

Love that spiky effect!

Anonymous said...

Frost like this is so beautiful :)

The Rainbow Room said...

bbbbbrrrrrr looks so cold, glad I have moved to Ibiza!!

Alyssa said...

Oh my! It's so gorgeous! Can you send some snow to NH please?

cutiepatudee said...

I love to hear about weather in other places especially cold

bairozan said...

That's one good thing about winter - it can be very beautiful. There are trees and roofs, covered with snow, accross my window, too. But... it's freezing cold outside, br-r-r!

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks for the comments everyone - it's warmed up again now, so my view is a lot less pretty!