Friday 29 October 2010

Hand-knitted Treasure

It is definitely blanket season. Our house is full of them: big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones, woollen ones, furry ones, store-bought ones and hand-knitted ones. We've got them on the bed and on the sofa and a big pile in the spare room for guests.

My favourite blanket? The one my mum knitted for me when I was a baby, a lovely rainbow patchwork of tiny squares:


The slightly blurry photos were taken in our spare room on a rather gloomy day! As you can see, I am fighting the gloom with colour :)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really an amazing blanket! You must have been a very happy baby :)

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

What a beautiful blanket!!! What a great work your mother did!!!

Watkins35 said...

that's beautiful & so colourful, my favourite throw is one my mum made me too although it's a patchwork one. x

Lilyshaw said...

Lovely to have something your mum made when you were a baby, such pretty colours too!

Maryjonono said...

Gorgeous 9 patch quilt! I've never seen that pattern knitted before, Lovely!!

Mutluanne said...

Ne kadar güzel işler çıkarmışsınız bayıldım.Hepsi birbirinden güzel
sevgiler

Victoria Whincup said...

Just so lovely....I agree about fighting the gloom with colour. You have to!

http://victoriawhincup.blogspot.com/

Mary said...

I love your blanket! The colours are great and so cheerful.

Iona Bruce said...

i've always wanted to knit a blanket to pass down in the family, it's lovely to see you've already got this & has inspired me to get my bum into gear & start making one :)

x

1000 Homes of Happiness said...

Such a happy blanket. I'm sure it has loads of beautiful memories =)

Kell

Fiona said...

great blanket! how is it constructed? surely not individual squares sewn together?

Hashi said...

Oh my! This blanket is awesome!

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks for the sweet comments everyone - my mum is thrilled you like the blanket! :)

Fiona, yes it's lots of tiny squares all sewn together. So much work!